Saturday, August 8, 2009

Charlottetown gets rocked

I've been watching it for a while now; at first, from my bedroom window, then from my deck outside. The radar shows promise. It's coming this way.

I need to relocate, I need to be higher, so I jump in my car. Within minutes I'm standing with my tripod setup at the end of the asphalt the middle of an abandoned farmers field. It's the closest location I could think of. It's coming right at me.

The moon is shining brightly over my shoulder, but ahead, it's a different story. At first, it's broad, it's all over the place, lighting up the sky like standing inside an enormous light box. I can't see what the storm looks like until I review the capture.

It's big. Really big.

It'd dead still where I stand, no breeze, and it's dark. I'm giddy with anticipation, I'm nervous when I review the last capture. This storm is like a black void rolling in like a rumbling wall of darkness.

The only sound above the crickets is the sound of my shutter every 20 seconds. It's getting closer, I can see defined strikes. I quickly change from landscape to portrait orientation, flick the shutter release lock. bang.

did I get it.

I got it.

It's cropped from the portrait, a little noisy, and a little out of focus. But I got it.





Even with its faults, I'm thrilled. I'm thrilled because Storms like this don't happen very often, and when they do, they slide right by with little action, or they happen during the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment